Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Thankful List.

On Sunday, we were asked to think of five things we were thankful for. Well, I have a problem with only choosing five. I have six on my list. It's not very complicated, and it took me all of five seconds to name them: Dad, Mom, Micah, Jon, Kathy, and Amelie. They are the things I am most grateful for any and every day of the year. I probably don't let them know that nearly enough, but they make my life better and make me a better person by being a part of my life.

My dad is my mentor - the person I look to for guidance in my life. He is the wisest man I know, whether we are talking about God and the Bible or people and relationships. Dad is the one who challenges me spiritually and intellectually, always laughs at my jokes, and is the best example of a godly man and husband bar none. Dad is the one person who understands me best.

My mom is my best friend - the person I talk to about anything. She is also the one who teaches me how to do just about anything from making green bean casserole to planning a budget to making a house a home. Mom pushes me to be more in so many ways like coming out of my shell and letting the world see the real me. She is always there to listen and makes everything fun, even shopping.

Micah is an inspiration to me as a follower of Jesus. He lives out his faith in a way that is true and honest and real. He is also so stinkin' talented that it's ridiculous yet he remains humble and wants to use the talents and abilities God has given him for His glory. Micah is also goofy and hilarious and fun-loving and just plain fun to hang out with.

Jon is super intelligent and sharp and witty and sees the world in a way that is completely different from everyone else. He is his own person and comfortable with that. He is real and refuses to conform to anyone else's standards. Jon defies definition. He also loves deeply and loyally. There is a depth to his character and a maturity with which he approaches his responsibilities that has grown in the last few years. He has also taken steps to include me in his life the last few years and that means the world to me that someone as awesome and popular as Jon would want to spend time with me.

Kathy is the person who has made the biggest impact on my life the last few years. She is one of the strongest people I know and her strength is an inspiration. She wants everyone to feel included and I have been no exception. She has become more than a friend, more than just a relative to me. She is the sister I never had. She is the sister I can giggle and act silly with but can also have serious talks and even cry with. Kathy may not always understand introverted me, but she has always loved me just as I am.

Amelie is the one I look forward to getting to know. She is the long-awaited fulfillment of a dream for Jon and Kat. I remember celebrating every completed step in this adoption process so far. I remember praying and crying and waiting with/for Jon and Kat for that day, that someday in the future we were waiting for. And then little Amelie arrived. When I first held her in my arms, I remember thinking that 'someday' had finally come. I cannot believe I love someone so much even though we live so far apart and I am watching her grow up in pictures and videos. Amelie is the one who will grow up calling me Auntie Heather, and I can't wait till she starts school and I can really shine as an Auntie.

So, this Thanksgiving, I am truly thankful for the wonderful family God has blessed me with, and I pray I always remember to count them as my blessings every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment