Thursday, November 18, 2010

My subconscious likes to hum.

I have hummed tunes under my breath for as long as I can remember. I asked my parents if I hummed as a little girl, and they said, "Oh yeah, you did! To the point of it being an annoyance." I can't seem to help it, though. There is always music playing in my head. It could be a song I heard in passing or a random song my brain picked out from the catalog I have been steadily adding to for the past 20 years or so. Whenever there is a quiet moment, the notes and melody come floating to the forefront of my mind and the humming begins. Sometimes softly and at times, not so softly, as my family can attest to, I'm sure. I guess I can blame my parents for this habit as music has always been a major factor in my life. It is interesting that, though I love music and I constantly have music playing whether I'm at home or work or in the car, I have never pursued it as a talent. I am the least musically talented Risinger in my family, in my opinion. I do not play an instrument. I don't create music or lyrics. My voice is nice but nothing spectacular. However, that has never detracted from my appreciation for the beauty and art that is music. I love the intricacies, the dynamics, the words, the feelings that powerful, meaningful music can provoke in me. I feel closest to God through song. I think that is why I hum. I love music, and I love God, and the two are so intertwined in my heart and soul that I cannot help but break out into a little humming now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment