Sunday, December 5, 2010

I just have to say something.

I normally try really hard not to rant, but I just have to say this. It is my own personal belief that the sound tech can make or break a _________ (fill-in-the-blank with any multitude of events where a sound system is needed). Now, I do not profess to be a licensed/educated/have-the-sound-engineering-degree-to-prove-it technician, but I know enough to be thoroughly frustrated when a sound tech ruins a perfectly good concert. I have always believed that if the techies are doing their jobs right, then the audience forgets they're even there. If we're invisible, then we have been successful! It just drives me up the wall when the audio tech makes mistake after awful mistake. I am not saying that problems do not arise when one is dealing with live sound, but it is ridiculous to overdrive the channels to the point that people's ears are bleeding or continue to have a loud buzz or feedback anytime a channel is open or not know the importance of balance when mixing voices and instruments. It takes away from the purpose of the event on stage, and it's not fair for the performers or the audience.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know any better when it comes to running sound because it is hard for me to focus, especially in a church service, on anything other than how much I wish I could run back to the soundboard and fix what I'm hearing. I've been running sound for the last two Sundays, and it's been so much fun to get back behind all those buttons, but it also makes me realize how much I still have to learn in order to be considered proficient. I find myself lacking knowledge of the technical side of running the board. I am seriously contemplating trying to find somewhere around here that has a class or two on sound engineering and mixing. Don't know if I'll find anything, but it's worth a shot.

Anyway, I'm done 'just having to saying something.' I think I can sleep now...night all.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree...if a sound tech is doing their job well you should forget they even have a job to do. I don't know much about sound, but being in the booth as a producer, I definitely have a harder time not nit-picking the services at church. Sometimes it's better if you just don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for backing me up, Christina :)

    ReplyDelete